This weekend I read My iPad Magazine Stand. Here are my notes:
- There’s still a lot that we don’t know about the iPad and its forthcoming competition
- Anecdotally, publishers report heavy demand for advertising space, and in some cases apps have sold out of their ad inventory through the end of the year or even further.
- That’s an encouraging indicator, but I think it may be more a sign of a bubble than the creation of a real market for publishers’ apps
- But even with an Apple-operated newsstand, I’m just not sure I believe these people will turn to publishers’ apps to occupy their tablet time.
- The Adobe promise, as I understand it, is that publications can design for one medium and, with minimal effort, have their work product viably running on tablets and other media.
I also read The State of Magazines on the iPad: A Giant Mess. These are my notes:
- The biggest problem for me has been the immediacy of the reading experience
- Takes too long to download an issue
- Another issue I have with magazines is that the iPad's display is just a tad too small to display a magazine in all its glory.
I finished my layouts.
And I got it printed and mounted, but with great difficulty.
I went to Staples on Saturday morning to get my layouts printed. I dropped my files off at 10 and went to pick them up at 2. When I picked them up at two I noticed that my middle layout was not printed correctly. Everything that was pink printed out brown.
The guy printed it out again but the same thing happened. He told me that it was my file. Something was wrong with it. So I payed for the two prints that were correct and left.
Then I went to Office Max to see if they could print it correctly. They printed it successfully the first try. But then I noticed that their paper looked different than the paper from Staples. So I told Office Max to reprint my other two spreads so that all three spreads looked the same. I paid for my prints and left.
I went home and mounted all of my spreads onto my matt board. Then Sunday morning I was helping Jamie mount her project and I asked her to look at mine. She noticed that on my impact layout the word "DIET" was missing. After having such a rough day on Saturday I had completely missed that the word was missing. So I drove back to Office Max and asked them to reprint it. However, when they reprinted it the same thing happened. The guy told me that something was wrong with my files. So I went BACK to Staples and asked if they could reprint it. I couldn't use my original Staples one because the paper that it was printed on was a little different. So luckily, they were able to print my impact spread again with the word "DIET" included.



No comments:
Post a Comment