Sunday, September 22, 2013

Week 4 Outside of Class

This weekend I finished my 1,000-2,000 word story. I sort of switched my idea. Instead of doing just one story on how a woman lost 40 pounds on the diet I decided to do a three part story. The first one is the story of the woman who lost 40 pounds on the diet. Then the second part is a story of how the diet almost ruined a woman's life. And the third part is how the diet has effected the world. Here is my story:


How I Lost 40 Pounds on the Strawberry Shortcake Diet
            Hello! My name is Jessica Baker and I discovered the Strawberry Shortcake Diet. I came upon this innovation by accident. When I was pregnant with my second child I started getting cravings for strawberry shortcake at all hours of the day. However, these cravings did not go away when I gave birth to my son. I started looking up recipes for everything strawberry shortcake and went on a binge. I found myself making strawberry shortcake milkshakes almost every day for breakfast on the go. My husband would welcome me home from work with some kind of strawberry shortcake mixed drink. Anything strawberry shortcake related I could get my hands on, I did.  This lasted for at least 3 or 4 months.
About a month into this splurge I noticed that I had lost 8 pounds since the last time I weighed myself. At first I just figured it was from the stress of having a newborn child in the house. But then I started to realize that my newborn son was not the reason because he began sleeping through the whole night and I was becoming very relaxed.
I kept losing weight but could not explain why. I had a doctor’s appointment about two months after having my son. When I stepped on the scale I was shocked at how much weight I had lost. In two months I had lost 20 pounds. I was now five pounds lighter than what I was before getting pregnant. The doctor noticed this and asked what I was doing that caused me to lose the baby weight and five extra pounds. I did not have an answer for her. I told her that I was not doing anything. I was not eating straight fruits, veggies, and salad. I was not working out. I was not taking any diet pills or supplements. She asked a bunch of questions about my lifestyle until I finally mentioned my strawberry shortcake spree. This actually confused her since she claimed that I should be gaining weight with the amount of strawberry shortcake I was eating instead of losing it. I went home just as confused and clueless as I was when I went in.
Another month went by, along with 10 more pounds. I was now down to 130 pounds. At this point I began to get worried about what was causing the weight loss. So many things began running through my head: a tapeworm, cancer, or some other kind of disease? So I called the doctor and set up an appointment for the next week. Two days later I got a call from the doctor. She had done some research and discovered that the sugar in the strawberries mixed with the shortening in the pound cake was creating a calorie-eating concoction. These two ingredients were mixing together in my stomach that began burning calories just like exercise or a diet pill would do. I did not believe what she was saying at first. I thought she was joking around or playing a prank on me. However, she kept giving specific details about how this combination was burning calories. I was still skeptical but it was the only explanation so far. My doctor said that I should still come in for my appointment next week so she could run some tests to make sure that I was not having any negative side effects. All the tests came back fine. I was getting all of the vitamins and nutrients that my body needed.
My husband decided to test this theory by eating strawberry shortcake when I ate it. He and I ate like this for about a month. By the end of the month (month 4 for me) I had lost another 10 pounds. I was now down to 120 pounds. My husband had lost 12 pounds. His weight loss confirmed that the strawberry shortcake was the reason for my weight loss. I relayed the discovery to my doctor who actually told me that I had to stop with my binge because I was losing so much weight. She began to fear that if I kept eating strawberry shortcake that my body would keep losing weight even though there was no weight to spare. I couldn’t stop cold turkey so I had to gradually reduce the amount of strawberry shortcake I was eating. My doctor did tell me that I could still eat strawberry shortcake every once and a while. It took me about two weeks to get myself back to eating normal food again. I still had a love for strawberry shortcake but only ate it every once in a while.
I was not expecting the Strawberry Shortcake Diet to become an actual thing and become so popular. It was an accident and I wasn’t trying to lose weight. I just wanted to eat strawberry shortcake. But I guess the friends that I talked to about my weight loss told their friends, who told their friends, who told their friends. Next thing I know, I see an article talking about it in a health magazine. Then I get a call from my doctor asking if she could release my name as the one who discovered the diet. Which brings me to where I am now. I feel like I’m still just a normal average person. But now I just do interviews and talk show appearances here and there. If you would have told me a year ago that I would be the one to come up with a new diet I would have just laughed in your face.


How The Strawberry Shortcake Diet Almost Ruined My Life
My name is Dana Jackson and the Strawberry Shortcake Diet almost ruined my life.
This all happened a year ago, I was 23 years old. My wedding was 5 months away and I wanted to lose some weight to look better in my dress. My friend mentioned the Strawberry Shortcake Diet. Right away I thought she was being sarcastic because how in the world are you supposed to lose weight by eating strawberry shortcake. But she pulled up an article saying that one woman lost 40 pounds in 4 months by eating a lot of strawberry shortcake. The article then went on to explain that the weight loss was caused by the mixing of the sugar from the strawberries and the shortening from the shortcake to create a calorie-incinerating combination. I did more research and all of the articles I found seemed to claim that this diet actually worked.
The next day I went out and stocked up on strawberries and ingredients to make shortcake. I found recipes for strawberry shortcake milkshakes and mixed drinks. I would make myself a milkshake for breakfast almost every day. A month into the diet I had already lost 9 pounds. I could not believe this diet was actually working. I was on top of the world and feeling great. I was so excited to look drop-dead-gorgeous in my dress at my wedding.
Three months later and another 26 pounds lighter I decided I had lost enough weight and was at a desirable size. I stopped eating strawberry shortcake and went back to eating what I would normally eat. The next day my bridesmaids and I went out shopping for my perfect wedding dress. Towards the end of the shopping trip I began to get a headache and feel shaky. I chalked it up to dehydration and lack of food since I had been trying dresses on all day. When I got home I took Tylenol, drank lots of water, and went to bed. The next day I woke up with an even worse headache than the one I went to bed with. I was still feeling shaky but now I was also feeling nauseous. I ran to the bathroom and threw up. On my way back to my bedroom I collapsed on the floor and could not get up. My whole body was shaking like a leaf. I was able to crawl to my phone and call my fiancé and tell him something was not right. He rushed right over and decided to take me to the hospital.
            At the hospital I went through numerous tests before the doctor told me what was wrong. Apparently, in the 4 months that I was on the Strawberry Shortcake Diet, my body had become dependent on strawberry shortcake. When I stopped eating it two days ago, my body went into withdrawal and began shutting down. My body was also missing vital nutrients because of my limited diet. The hospital told me that I had to be admitted and kept under surveillance. The doctors had to find a way to wean my body off of strawberry shortcake without causing further damage to my body.
They first tried to have me go cold turkey and just hope that my body would flush it all out and be back to normal in a couple of days. However, they immediately decided that was not a good idea when I could not function due to the severe side effects of withdrawal. I was severely shaking, sweating, and in pain. They compared my withdrawal symptoms to ones of a drug addict. The only other option was to slowly lower the amount of strawberry shortcake I was eating until my body wasn’t dependent on it anymore. Two weeks went by but the doctors were seeing minimal results. My body was taking a abnormal amount of time to wean itself off of the strawberry shortcake.  The doctors were becoming worried that this was more serious than they thought.
My fiancé and I had to postpone the wedding because I was still stuck in the hospital. It took a month and a half to finally get my body back to normal. It was an absolute nightmare. I will never eat strawberry shortcake ever again.


The Effect of the Strawberry Shortcake Diet
            The Strawberry Shortcake Diet has become the new craze. It started in the United States but has expanded to China, France, Canada, and many other countries. Because strawberries are in such high demand from this diet craze, most countries had to open up more strawberry fields. This actually turned out to be a great thing for all countries because it opened up many jobs for unemployed people. It is also helping to keep money in the country since they are growing the strawberries locally and not importing them. Obesity rates are also down in at least 5 countries.
            However, not all outcomes of this new diet are positive. There have been many cases of the body becoming dependent on the strawberry shortcake. In some cases, reversing this problem is as easy as just slowly cutting back on the amount of strawberry shortcake you intake until you are back to normal. However, some instances cause for more drastic measures. Many people have needed to be admitted into a hospital for treatment. There have also been numerous cases of people taking the diet too far. People have continued with the diet to reach drastically small weight numbers. It has become very popular with people who have eating disorders. They use this diet to lose even more weight. This is very dangerous and unhealthy. There have been many articles and PSAs written warning individuals of the risks and side effects of the Strawberry Shortcake Diet. There have been many stories of this diet working with no side effects at all but there are also stories filled with scary outcomes. The choice is up to you whether you would like to test out this new diet but we recommend that you keep the side effects in mind.

I also determined the target demographics who would read the magazine my story would be in.
Age: mid 20s - 50s
Gender: Women
Occupation: Anything
Salary: Again, anything

I figured my story would be featured in a Health & Food magazine. It wouldn't be geared just towards rich or poor women. Anybody would be able to buy and read this magazine. 

I also created 9 double page spreads:







No comments:

Post a Comment